Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Top Ten Tuesday- Books On My To-Read List That I’m Avoiding











Rarely do I AVOID a book on my TBR.  Usually I am often just sidetracked by other books that seem to better catch my attention in the moment.  However I have one big weakness.  Emphasis on BIG.  The size of a book, especially when it is a series.
I cannot promise all these are my 'top' but these are the ones that came to mind first.

The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1)






I technically read this book years ago (and part of the second book until I found it was missing pages) but I don't remember much and never finished the series.  At over 15 books each over 800 pages I am very intimidated to get into this series but I an determined to try soon.








 
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)






I have seen most of the series (still haven't seen the last season). And liked it quite a bit.  But there are an insane amound of details and I hear there book is even more intricate if the characters, places and connections.  I think I might need to journalt things as I do this series and will need to give it most of my focus to do it justice.  So I keep postponing it.








Under the Dome




This book is HUGE!  And has multple POVs I hear which I can struggle with.  As is I am reading IT by Stephen King which is another massive tome.  Maybe next year.... I really want to read it (wish they continued the tv show...) but the concept really intrigues me.
















The Suffering (The Girl from the Well, #2)





I have this on my kindle but I don't know if I'll ever get to it.  It is a sequel to a book I didn't enjoy really.  But this one has much better feedback so I am torn.












Case Closed, Vol. 1 (Meitantei Conan #1)





This manga series has nearly 100 volumes to it!  That is huge!   I would have put One Piece hear but I've already made a dent in that series but I haven't started this one and whenever I think about that number, not to mention how to acquire them all, I keep pushing it further down my list.









The Tale of Genji






Another 1000+ pages tome!  But I have wanted to read this for years now but when I think of focus I will need to read this it stays on the shelf.  It isn't easy to get a book written hundreds of years ago, translated over the centuries and then put to English and get is right so a bit nervous.








Gone with the Wind




This is both really long and it has to battle with my love of the movie.  A favorite story for sure but am I ready for the novel?  Still in debate and therefor on my shelf.  I actually have 2 copies of this.  A newer one I got from the used bookstore and I also have my great-grandmothers copy.  It is in sad shape which is why I bought another one but I love that I have an original copy.









 





Another high detailed series I have yet to get into.  I love the premise of the story but also fear it might move too slowly for me to stay interested.  I haven't seen the show yet either so it is hard to say.











Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1)






Another long series.  Lots of characters, details and timelines.  And do I start here or the prequels?  Not to mention and author change which I never like (regardless of why) in a series.










The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)




This for the hype.  I have yet to read a Brandon Sanderson novel *GASP* . Sorry.  I have heard nothing but great things and he has reached amazing heights in reputation as a fantasy author.  What if I don't like him near as much as others?  Will I be annoyed I've been blinding collecting him for over 2 years?  Frustrated at tackling a long book I didn't love?  Or shunned from the community (not really) for not enjoying a beloved favorite author?








So what are some books you keep avoiding to pick up and read?

6 comments:

  1. There are a lot of us who are intimidated by long books! I hope these books and series delight you. :)

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I think it is a large reason why a number of us hold off on a book. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Under the Dome the book is so drastically different from the tv show. Definitely worth a read when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what my husband said. Bother better and more complex.

      Delete
  3. Quite a varied and eclectic reading, er, not reading list. I only read pieces of GOT, because the violence and child rape was a lot. I might try again someday, when all is done, but not a headspace I want atm.
    I'm torn on some of the same novels/series, but I have zero qualms on skipping Gone with the Wind. I thought Scarlett was beyond annoying, even if the movie had some beautiful moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to read a wide variety of books. :)
      Yeah I have some concerns on GOT. I had hoped HBO was just being themselves and it was different in the books...hmm.

      Delete